Select Page
Prevent Mold from Spreading: Take Away its Food

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recognizes how water damage situations (such as from clogged drains, hot water heaters, sewage backups, etc) can be potentially hazardous… not only after it happens, but over time as well.

Why? Because of the potential of mold and how it  negatively affects human health. Exposure to damp and moldy environments and materials can be especially harmful to those sensitive to irritants common to mold contamination. Some find that even being outside near plant life in the process of decomposition is a problem. Mold and mildew will run rampant in wet and humid conditions, leading to allergic reactions.

So if a water damage accident does happen in your home, don’t take chances with your families health. Mold needs moisture. It needs to be fed. It will grow on organic materials that are wet, such as drywall and insulation. If you take away its “food” you hinder the ability of mold to grow.

Important reminders

Remember that mold grows in places with lots of moisture, anywhere there is a leak. This can be in areas you can see and hidden in areas of your home where you cannot see. Regardless of seen or hidden, the health dangers are present within the air.

Many homeowners are tempted to clean up water that comes into their home, such as when a sump pump fails or when the washing machine overflows. Good intentions for sure. But if you don’t get it completely dry, really fast, there can be problems.

Here’s an interesting thought: Some professional water damage experts won’t even do a water removal job if they can’t get to it within 24 hours. They know mold could have started to grow and that means more work than simply extracting water and drying the home could be required.

You don’t want all that headache or danger living around your family. When uncontrolled water seeps or floods into your home, remember it’s more than water. It’s breeding ground for mold. Do what’s best. Call your water damage professional!